Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Apple Berry Crumble

Apple berry crumble
I was invited for an apéro evening at Sandrine's house a few weeks ago. There were many delicious finger foods served but there was one thing that I couldn't forget: the berry crumble. It was so delicious, rather strong blend between sweet and sour for my taste, but very, very delicious still. So I decided that I had to be able to make that, too. I looked up some recipes on the internet and basically they were suggesting almost the same ingredients and techniques. But as a huge Jamie Oliver's fan and because of the simplicity of his crumble recipe, I chose that to begin the experiment. The original recipe is here, but I doubled the crumble recipe since I had a bigger baking plate. And instead of only apples, I added some strawberries for an addition of sour taste. Oh, and I also added some cinnamon ground just because I liked it. Below is my apple berry crumble recipe.



Ingredients:


For the fruits:

  • 50 g caster sugar
  • 300 g of apples (I used two granny apple smith)
  • strawberries
  • a drop of water
  • some cinnamon
For the crumble:
  • 40 g sugar
  • 70 g oats
  • 70 g flour
  • 70 g butter, diced
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven at 190° C.
  2. Peel and cut the apples in chunks and halve the strawberries
  3. Put them in your oven proof dish and add the sugar, water and cinnamon
  4. Cook on a burner over low heat for 5 minutes
  5. In the mean time, put all the crumble ingredients in a bowl
  6. Then crunch the butter together with the other dry ingredients until it looks like crumbles. It shouldn't take long
  7. As the fruits are ready, spread the crumbles on top evenly
  8. Bake for 20 minutes.
Beautiful golden crumble. Very crunchy, too, thanks to the oats
 My first try was successful with no sweat at all! It was very easy to make and it tasted sooooo good. You should try it too. Don't be afraid changing the apples into something else. But I do think that the berries make a great mix with the sugary crumbles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Kitchen and Around
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com