Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cookies (chocolate chip and lemon)

cookies baked in a pan
As I said in my last post, my oven was broken on the day my brother and his girlfriend came from Surabaya, my hometown. I already made the cookie dough and I had to put it in the fridge until I could figure out what I should do with it (or with my oven). After 2 days passed by, I thought I couldn't keep the dough too long in the fridge and it didn't seem that any electrician was working during the Christmas week. So I experimented with my non-stick pan.

It worked!!!

What I did was to line the usual baking cookie tray with baking paper and arrange the dough on top of it. In the mean time, I reheated a large non-stick pan on a hob with lid closed. Very quickly I put the cookie tray inside and close the lid again. Wait for 10 minutes, voila!!! The cookies were ready. Okay, you need to do more batches this way, but in case one day your oven breaks down and you are ready with the dough, this is an alternative way to "bake" your cookies.



Ingredients:
  • 125 g butter
  • 100 g unrefined sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 100 g plain flour
  • 25 g porridge oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Optional flavour between citrus cookies and chocolate cookies. For citrus cookies, you need zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange. For chocolate cookies, you need 50 g chocolate chip (Jamie suggests 50 g each for white and dark chocolate, but I prefer not-too-sweet cookies)
Instructions:
  1. Soften your butter first by taking it out of the fridge at least 15 minutes before you start making your cookies.
  2. Combine the butter and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or if you do it manually, leave out the egg and flour, and stir them until it has thick creamy consistency. Whisk the egg and add it to the mixture. Sieve the flour in. Mix well.
  3. Put the flavour you want (citrus or chocolate). I made both flavour so I just doubled the above ingredients. However, given that I am not a sweet-toothed person, I like the citrus one better. But my boyfriend likes the chocolate one.
  4. Spoon the dough onto a clingfilm and roll it into a sausage shape.
  5. Rest it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
  6. After 30 minutes, the previously soft dough becomes hard and is easy to cut.
  7. Preheat your oven to 190° C and line your baking tray with baking paper.
  8. Cut the dough and put the slices on the tray.
  9. Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown.
If at step 7 you find out that your oven is broken, get a big non-stick frying pan and put a lid on it. Reheat it on a hob while you are cutting the dough. When ready, put the tray carefully as to not destroy the teflon and quickly put the lid back on. Wait 10 minutes and exchange it with the next batch.

It's yummy, trust me. Everyone who has tried these cookies I baked loved it! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Kitchen and Around
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com