Monday, February 28, 2011

How to Make Your Own Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise... who doesn't know it? You put it in your sandwich, your deviled eggs, your snack or vegetable dip, and you eat it with your french fries. As an Indonesian, I use saus sambal (chilli sauce) or tomato sauce in almost everything (also with french fries) more than I use mayo. But I always have to have mayonnaise in my fridge in case Mr French Boyfriend wants it or some recipes call it.

However, prices in Bali have gone up so much in this past year that I started to think of making my own everything. And mayonnaise has to be one of the things I should be able to make myself since the ridiculous price of mayo here doesn't always have to be necessarily followed with quality. I only bought one good mayonnaise (called "Real Mayo" if I am not mistaken) once, and I could never find it again. I tried other different types of mayonnaise but nothing I particularly enjoyed. So... I braved myself to start making this very homemade mayonnaise.

Basically all you need are egg yolk(s) and oil. Of course with salt and pepper to season it in the end. And, oh, confidence. ;)

Ingredients:

  • egg yolk(s) - I used one since homemade mayonnaise doesn't last that long (about 3 days) and there is no point of making a lot of mayonnaise for the consumption of 2 people
  • a cup of oil - I used vegetable oil, but you can use other
  • a teaspoon of mustard
  • a drop or two of white wine vinegar or lemon juice
  • salt and pepper for seasoning
Instructions:
  1. Put the egg yolk and the mustard into a bowl and beat it lightly with your whisk.
  2. Put a drop of vinegar or lemon juice together with the yolk. The acidity of the vinegar or lemon juice will help stabilize the emulsion process.
  3. Slowly (and I mean very, very slowly) add a drop of oil into the bowl and whisk it as fast as you can.
  4. Add another drop and whisk again. Repeat this until the yolk thickens and gets sort of creamy.
  5. At this point you can add the rest of the oil in a quicker manner, but still not too quick. In the mean time, never stop whisking. You still need to whisk as you drib the oil into the mixture.
  6. When it reaches the right mayo consistency and you have finished your oil, congratulations! You have just made your first homemade mayonnaise. The last touch is to put salt and pepper, and perhaps more lemon juice if you like.
My arm felt like it was gonna fall off the joint when I finished making my first mayonnaise. But it felt good to know that I could make my own mayonnaise. Maybe you will, too.

Tips:
  • Save your arm from tiring by using a food processor if you have it. It's also much easier and much quicker that way.
  • If the consistency is too thick for you, add a little bit of cold water. That will loosen it up a bit. If it is too thin, add more oil.
  • Don't add the seasoning before the mayonnaise is formed. It will break the emulsion before you even get it.
Check out this video of how to make mayonnaise by Gordon Ramsay. He is using the food processor here. A note: he is using 3 egg yolks instead one, so that's why he could add more than a drop of oil in the first whisk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Kitchen and Around
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com